Tuesday, October 6, 2009

False Advertisement



This mural is from the Terror ride of Lagoon, the sole amusement park in Utah. It was my first "haunted" house, and I think I kept my eyes closed the entire time, after witnessing a ghostly white shroud (attached to a hanger-I had already seen mommy dearest at this point so wire hangers were terrifying) that moved at the same speed as the buggy, an ever so stylish cart that made me feel as if I was one of the scooby gang, a five year old earns bravery point for entering right? As the park is only open during the summer, I had mustered enough bravado to re-enter the next summer, and I added one more lifelong fear to my repetoire -- loud car horns and headlights. However this reverence was shortlived; by my seventh year I was already noticing how the objects moved in identical patterns and what components made their motions. So the supernatural weren't so super afterall, just a naturally recurring phenomenon, like a turntable and a pulley. I could tell you the track from memory at this point and I haven't been there since an eventful trip in 1999. (I locked the keys in the ignition with the car running after getting pulled over on the freeway and frisked by the highway patrol) The other macabre offering from Lagoon is Dracula's Castle with elements borrowed heavily from Edward Gorey, Aleister Crowley, mythological, Babylonian, and occultist symbols mixed into a blender and regurgitated as only a conservative religious homogeny could.



No comments: