Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everybody's got their something...


I make no mystery of the fact that if it is shiny and reflective I more than likely want to own it - even if it similar but not identical to something I already possess. I could also make the same statement regarding designer status, rarity, and blue stripe shirts. To have and to hold (read fondle) forever always. But I confess that my true desire is in the seeking of the object not the moment of ownership. Perhaps the sense of comfort that familiarity breeds leads to contempt; the realization when you open your closet and see that every shirt is the same shade and you have nothing to wear. When you look in the mirror and see last nights meal of McDonald's cheeseburger and fries reconstituted and repositioned on your thighs. The realization that you are just like your mother - and your father. I realize that being human has its conditions -- we're not perfect. So we create beings that are supernatural, all knowing, omnipotent, omnipresent and short on two way communication.
I realize the freedom granted to the psyche when absolved of guilt. I understand the desire to seek virtue, with the exception of patience (seriously.) But I can't fathom the ineptitude required for submission. I'm sure that creatures such as vampires, fairies, and ghosts are located on the same spectrum as visions, angels, and God. Just as I'm sure that the Christian God, Almighty Allah, and Queen Mab are different versions of the shirts in my closet.Dear readers I'm sure the analogy of something as urbane as shirts in a closet to the myriad pantheon of gods which mortals place their faith is disturbing to some of you, and I do not seek your discomfort but the clarity of thought to step beyond your gut reflex. I'm asking you to act not react. I recently read an anecdote involving a young child in a religious setting who simply stated his opinion. "That Jesus is a fake." Much to the mortification of his parent(s) who may or may not rely on the adage out of the mouth of babes. I may be wrong in my summation; as children are saved in Christ within this particular belief structure, I would hope that the salvation of the child's soul was not a concern (see statement above regarding intelligence). So I am led to believe that the chagrin was based in the embarrassment felt by the parent(s) in a minefield of social judgment - because the child didn't mimic the predetermined homogeneous behaviour. If the child were mine I'd say (and believe)he was brilliant.
The media outlets are awash in the doomsday foretelling of Wallstreet, terrorism, and war. My prescription to change the planet: stop the indoctrination of children. Religion should be a choice of a rational mind. But its just an opinion.

Thanks to Ryan Williamson for the permission to post these photos.

3 comments:

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

I like this post very much.

Angie said...

Thoughtful post, Brandon. As a person who at least hopes for the truth of my faith, this idea that children should not be indoctrinated (with which I theoretically agree) puts me in a difficult position. You are, of course, familiar with my religion, and sometimes I question baptism at the age of eight. I guess many baptize children as infants though, and I suppose the age of baptism isn't really the sticking point. A person must come to his/her own conversion or system of beliefs, whatever it may be, baptized or not. Yes, I want my children to come to form their own opinions, yet I must admit that I hope they'll come to believe as I do, and thus I steer them toward that. I take them to church, but I suppose there are some things that I unapologetically do want to indoctrinate them about, and some of those things are taught at church, such as, "Love one another." I often think, if that's all the scripture to which we adhere, whether or not we believe in a God, we'll get what matters right.

goodnevili said...

Angie, I think that as a society we indoctrinate many things into our children. In addition to religion, gender roles, prejudice, nationalism and\or patriotism. I think that in the realm of the eternal how many of these will still remain relevant? As you mention if we love one another without adding a subscript or conditional applications, diversity would be a non issue.